Travelling with a baby!

We have been lucky enough to have been on 3 short breaks since Alys was born almost 8 months ago. I have began to get used to totally filling the car practically to the roof, but on our last break we had to travel aound 4 hours away and i wanted the journey to be as comfortable as possible. Especially as my mother in law would be in the back with Alys, surrounded by all her stuff.

So i downsized my list (yes im a habitual list maker and always write a list of "things i need to bring" on holiday). This isn't really about packing lighter, its about being more sensible about what i do pack. Im just going to give some tips for anyone in the same position as me, when your pram alone practially fills your boot. Also, this is really for travelling within the uk. I havent taken Alys abroad just yet.

One thing I would definately suggest is if the place your staying offers you a cot/crib, use it. When we went to center parcs and bluestone, I took Alys' travel cot with me.  Both center parcs and bluestone provide these so I needn't have done this. When we stayed in the premier inn for our last break, I used theirs.  Also most places will provide you with a highchair if you need one too.

Although you definately need to bring spare clothes for your baby, you dont need to bring all of their clothes! This is something else I've learned. I just popped in a couple of extra vests and babygros and in the end we didnt even need to use them (luckily). I also packed much ligher for myself so that definately saved space.

So the things I definitely needed and couldn't do without.......

This one goes withour saying. Your change bag, with all of your usual daily things.

Lots of nappies, nappy cream and wipes! I think this goes without saying. Obviously, you can always pick some up when you get to where your going, but I just prefer to bring my own.

Bath stuff. Your usual baby wash and lotion if you use it. I wouldnt necessarily worry about bring babies towel as hotels tend to always give plenty.

If you formula feed your baby, a sterilizer, your usual formula, bottles and, for me, my prep machine. My beautiful, wonderful prep machine. I love that thing (can you tell)!

Sleeping bags, or blankets (whichever you usually use). I always pop in a spare too in case of leaks in the night.

Your pram or buggy. Or if you prefer, a sling/baby carrier.

If your baby is on solids, bibs. I love the plastic backed ones at the moment as Alys drinks alot of water with her food which soaks through simple material ones. I usually give Alys all home made meals. However, when we went away last time i did take pouches simply to make life easier. I also pack her sippy cup, plenty of spoons and plastic bowls.

I also always pack any essential medicines, such as calpol, teething gel, infacol and anything else your baby may need. I also always have suncream with me. The last thing you need is a poorly baby and to have to run to the shops.

Im sure that everyone has their own list as every baby have different needs and the above things are just based on my opinion.

In a few weeks we are taking Alys on her first camping trip, which we are really looking forward to. However, I must admit I'm a bit unsure of the prospect of 2 nights away with an 8 month old and no electricity, but I'm sure we I'll manage somehow.

I'll let you all know how we get on!


Comments

Popular Posts