Lockdown life for us

At the beginning of March 2020, we as a family returned from our annual trip to Center Parcs. We go every year and this year was definately the most memorable so far. Firstly, Alys is 1 years old now and when we went last year she was a tiny 4 month old. She had an amazing time and I'm sure next year she will appreciate it even more. Secondly, covid-19 was really ramping up. There were hand sanitizing stations everywhere, but all of them were empty. People were using it all up as soon as it was getting filled. Coronovirus was the main topic of conversation all over the park. We returned home on the Friday and the following week the country went into lockdown.

Due to me having chronic asthma, Im firmly in the at risk category. I was told that I was not to attend work for at least 12 weeks and to stay at home. 

We knew it was coming when we had to postpone our wedding. It would have been 2 weeks away at the time of writing this. Now its 12 weeks away and still doesn't seem real to be honest. Our honeymoon has also been cancelled. Covid-19 has not gone away and we as a country are still in lockdown (we are in Wales and the lockdown has not been lifted as yet). What we can do, is see another household in our garden or a park etc, but still at a distance of at least 2 meters. Its difficult. How do I keep a toddler from running up to her grandparents? 

There are things that I am grateful for. April, for us, was a beautiful month. As was May. We spent all of our time outside on the farm. Alys is very much an outdoors child. She loves to see the cows and chickens and is more than happy to simply run up and down the farmyard. I'm very grateful for where we live. We also take very long walks almost every day. We walk to the estuary near to us and sit and watch the tide.  June has not been so kind with the weather. We have had thunderstorms and a lot of rain (which as farmers we are glad for but as the mother of a toddler......not so much!). My garden has never looked so good though! I'm also grateful for being able to spend so much time with my daughter. We have both benefited from that, although I'm concerned at how she is going to feel when I have to go back to work.

Before lockdown, Alys was walking, but mainly still crawling to get where she needed to. Now, many weeks on, she is running full speed ahead and trying to climb up everything she possibly can. Her grandparents, her aunties and uncles have all missed this part of her development. Its a sad thing, but everyone is in the same boat. 

Something I'm finding difficult is not seeing my own grandmother. The residential home that she lives in went into lockdown a few weeks before the whole country did. My grandmother suffers with dementia. I'm worried that she has not been able to grasp why nobody is visiting her. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her again. I've been doing a weekly drop off of cakes to the door of the care home so I hope shes been enjoying them. 

I miss all of my family terribly. I want Alys to play with her cousins again and I want to give my cousin Amy a massive hug (her hugs are the best). These are things that Im going to try not to take for granted again.

I am scared that we are never going to see the end of this if people are not adhering to the governments advise. You see people having conversations with others, clearly not 2 meters away from one another.  You see people visiting other houses......not just going into the gardens, but going inside and spending time with people when we are not allowed to do that yet. I think this is incredibly selfish and hypocritical. These people were likely clapping for the NHS several weeks ago. I want to see my mum and dad more than anything, but to protect us, I'm willing to wait. Until then, facetime is an invaluable tool.

I really do not want to postpone my wedding again.

I'm listening to government advise and isolating myself until I'm told its safe to do otherwise. Then hopefully it will be safe for me to get married. And I urge everyone else to do the same. 






Comments

Popular Posts